Overview:
It has since been revealed that the argument stemmed from the curator’s dissatisfaction with the Indian team practising throw-downs on the square area of the pitch. This led to Gambhir becoming agitated and confronted Fortis.
The most notable development ahead of the fifth and final Test between England and India in London is a confrontation between India’s head coach, Gautam Gambhir, and Lee Fortis, the pitch curator of The Oval. On Tuesday, July 29, there was a heated exchange between the two men, during which Gambhir voiced his strong opinions regarding Fortis.
Gambhir was overheard telling Fortis, “You’re just a groundsman here.” The argument escalated further, with Gambhir telling Fortis to “go ahead and report whatever you want, you’re only a groundsman,” and using a few choice words during the discussion.
Batting coach Sitanshu Kotak stepped in and escorted the curator away, while Gambhir continued to argue from a distance. It has since been revealed that the argument stemmed from the curator’s dissatisfaction with the Indian team practising throw-downs on the square area of the pitch. This led to Gambhir becoming agitated and confronted Fortis.
Later, Fortis spoke to the media, downplaying the incident. He mentioned that he never previously met Gambhir.
#WATCH | London, UK: Lee Fortis, Oval Pitch Curator says, “It is quite a big game coming up. It is not my job to be happy with him (Gautam Gambhir) or not. I have never met him before today. You saw what he was like this morning. It’s okay, I am fine. We have nothing to hide…” https://t.co/3K5jjnpTiw pic.twitter.com/FQ8LuDYjQM
— ANI (@ANI) July 29, 2025
“We have a big match ahead. Whether I’m happy with him (Gautam Gambhir) or not isn’t my concern. I’ve never met him before. You saw how he was this morning,” Fortis said.
Fortis stated that he was fine and that there was nothing to hide, eventually cutting the interview short to avoid being rude.
“I don’t mean to be rude, but you’re not asking any questions. You’re just not asking anything,” he added.
“I’m fine, it’s all good. We have nothing to conceal,” he concluded.
The fifth Test match at The Oval is scheduled to start on July 31, with India aiming to level the series following a determined draw in Manchester.